According to many reports from DriveDx users and our own investigation – iStat Menus v6.2 breaks S.M.A.R.T. support in macOS for non-NVMe internal drives. Be aware! As a result, DriveDx and any other S.M.A.R.T. monitoring tools are unable to perform diagnostic of internal drives. Note: some users report that previous version (6.1.1) of iStat Menus causes the same problems on macOS 10.13.6. But we can’t reproduce this issue with iStat Menus v6.1.1 on our Macs.
- How-to reproduce:
- Install iStat Menus -> drive “S.M.A.R.T. status” in the Apple Disk Utility will become “Not supported”.
- Uninstall iStat Menus -> drive “S.M.A.R.T. status” in the Apple Disk Utility will become “Verified”.
To restore S.M.A.R.T. support on your Mac, follow next instructions:
- In the “iStat Menus” app – menu item “Menubar > Monitor S.M.A.R.T. Disks” must be unchecked
- Select menu “iStat Menus > Reinstall…”
- Check drive “S.M.A.R.T. status” in the Apple Disk Utility. If “S.M.A.R.T. status” is “Verified” – S.M.A.R.T. support is successfully restored.
UPDATE: iStat Menus developers sent us the beta version that should fix this issue. Very fast! Cool! You can download it here . Note: We have not tested it yet.