External USB / FireWire drive diagnostics support
Despite that some modern external USB/FireWire drive enclosures correctly send S.M.A.R.T. data over those interfaces, this technology is named SAT (SCSI / ATA Translation), – unfortunately Mac OS X doesn’t support this feature out of the box .
If you want to perform external drive diagnostics on OS X – currently there is only one option – you can install 3rd party kernel extension – SAT SMART Driver. SAT SMART Driver is free open source project (published under Apple Public Source License) by Jarkko Sonninen. It is hosted on GitHub.
Driver installer package availble on our site is specially signed by us, this will simplify installation process and make it “hassle-free” on OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) and later.
- Download driver installer:
driver v0.10.2 (recommended, already included in DriveDx)driver v0.8.2 (try if v0.10.2 is not compatible with external drive)
- Unmount all external drives
- Unzip installer
- Use installer
- [macOS High Sierra +] You need to approve driver installation – follow our instructions
- Reconnect external drives (or reboot computer)
- Check Apple’s DiskUtility. The disks should have “S.M.A.R.T. Status: Verified”
- Type following commands (in Terminal.app):
- sudo rm -r /System/Library/Extensions/SATSMARTDriver.kext
- sudo rm -r /System/Library/Extensions/SATSMARTLib.plugin
- Reboot computer
- SAT SMART Driver project is not a part of DriveDx project
- SAT SMART Driver is external 3rd party project and it is not officially supported by BinaryFruit
- Driver installer availble on our site is specially signed by us, this will simplify installation process and make it “hassle-free” on OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) and later
- Installation of kernel extensions potentially may make your Mac unstable (but currently there are no any known serious issues/problems)
- You could check actual list of known issues here. If you will have any problems with this kernel extension – please submit description of your issue here
- Some external drive enclosures don’t support “SCSI / ATA Translation” technology, so installing of this kernel extension will not help in this case. You can find more information about enclosures compatibility here
- Even if drive enclosure allow health diagnostics, current version of SAT SMART Driver may not support it. In this case you could submit an issue to developer.